Parent Connection – fpStudents
Week 1: Lot’s Wife Turns to Salt
Large Group Experience: During the large group experience, students discovered the strange story of Lot and His Wife, and how God saved them before He destroyed the city that they were living in. In this story Lot made the decision to be obedient to God’s instructions, while his wife did not obey the instructions given by God and in return suffered the consequences for it. For Lot there were two specific unchanging qualities about God that were revealed in this story that caused him to be obedient to God. The first quality is that God is faithful. God always does what He says He will do, and Lot understood this from his past experiences with God. The second quality of God that pushed Lot to be obedient was that God is merciful. God is compassionate and loving towards His people. This quality of God urged Lot to be obedient to God instructions that saved his life. Through this strange story, students were challenged to recognize the same two unchanging qualities of God, and allow them to motivate them to be obedient to God and His instructions.
Questions to Use with your Student:
- What does it mean to be obedient to someone or something?
- Do you struggle with being obedient to God, or to other people in authority over you? Why or why not?
- How does someone being faithful and doing what they say they will do motivate you to be obedient to them?
- How does showing mercy make it easier to be obedient?
- Why is it important for us to be obedient to God?