As Christians we are called to stand guard against evil in this world by being watchmen. This means that it is our responsibility to be good witnesses of God by evangelizing (spreading the word/ blowing the trumpet).
Do you remember what it felt like when you first realized the truth of God’s love? Take a moment and discuss how you felt. Do you still feel that way now? What’s changed?
Let’s look at a leader in the Bible who let his fire and passion for following God’s word wane, Elijah. Elijah was one of God’s most enthusiastic followers and prophets. He was so bold he challenged the prophets of Baal to prove that there is only one God and he is Yahweh. This angered Jezebel who ruled the land and worshiped Baal. She swore to have Elijah killed at which point Elijah flees toward the wilderness near Beersheba to hide. During this time way from his mission of evangelizing the word of God he became depressed, his fire went out. Let’s read together what happened to Elijah…
Read 1 Kings 19: 1-9a
1) The people in the land were not very open to hearing the truth about God, much like today. How has an effort to evangelize in that kind of environment had an effect on Elijah?
2) How did God respond to Elijah’s needs? What does this tell us about God’s character?
3) Notice in verse seven what the angel says, “for the journey is too much for you.” Did God’s messenger just task Elijah with something he knew Elijah couldn’t handle? If so, how did God enable him to make it?
Dejected and ready to give up, Elijah does what the angel says. He finds himself in a cave within Mount Horeb where God himself speaks to Elijah.
Read 1 Kings 19:9b -18
4)In verse 10, what does Elijah tell God? Isn’t that just like the world we live in today?
5) How does God reply to Elijah?
6) As Elijah is waiting for the LORD to pass by what does he notice? When does Elijah finally find God? What does this tell us about God’s character?
7) Even after all God has done to show his love and authority how does Elijah respond in verse 14? Have you ever reacted like Elijah does here when God proves in your life His authority?
When God knows we are down and out he often times will speak to us in a gentle whisper to remind us that our efforts are not in vain and that his provision and gentle guidance will always lead us to where we need to be.