Our focus determines our destination. In order to become everything Christ has for us, we have to shift our focus from this world to Christ.
What was the best thing that happened to you in 2015?
We all want to please God. So, we do what we believe will please Him. We head to church on Sunday mornings. We do our best to be polite and kind to others. We read the Bible and pray. We try our best to be a good person. Still, despite all our best efforts, we feel as disconnected from God as ever. The problem is that we are missing the active ingredient. Hebrews 11:6 explains, “Without faith it is impossible to please God.” Without faith all things, even “good” things, fall short. If we want to please God we have to stop focusing on trying to be good. We need to shift our focus to Christ.
Read Philippians 1:6
- What is the good work that Jesus began in every believer?
- How does it make you feel that God has a plan for your personal growth? Does it change the way you look at or understand different situations in your life?
Your spiritual growth is rooted in _______________________.
Read 2 Corinthians 5:17
- Do you wake up everyday with the knowledge that you are brand new in Christ? Or does something else dominate your thoughts?
- What portions of your old reality are you holding onto? What lies about yourself do you continue to believe?
- Pastor Chris said, “Regardless of how you feel you are generous, you are brand new, you have value, you are growing, you are created in his image, you have an amazing future, you are valuable, and you are positive.” What truth about your new reality do you need to put on in 2016?
Your spiritual growth is grounded in ________________________.
Read Galatians 3:3-5
- In the past, what did you primarily rely on for spiritual growth?
- What is the difference between relying on the Holy Spirit for spiritual growth and relying on the flesh?
- Why does relying on the flesh for personal growth only lead to self-righteousness?
Your spiritual growth is rooted in _________________________.
- What is the ultimate future of all those who believe in Christ?
- How can knowing Christ will make us perfect change how we live our lives today?
- When you rely on the Holy Spirit for personal growth, by faith you are conformed to the image of Christ. Recognizing that truth, what should Christ-like personal growth look like? How is the success defined by conformity to Christ differ from the way the world defines success?
- Have you created a personal growth plan for 2016? If not, take some time this week to create one. Share your plan with the group next week.
You can find a copy of the personal growth plan in Pastor’s book Without. A digital copy of the appendix of Without can be downloaded here: Faith Book-APPENDIX