Print This Post
Encounter God through Bible Study
Read 1 Samuel 17:4-6
1. Despite being an intimidating giant, why did Goliath’s presence scare the Israelites?
Read 1 Samuel 17:8-10, 16
2. Why did Goliath taunt Saul’s army multiple times a day for many days?
Read 1 Samuel 17:13, 25-28
3. Why do you believe Eliab was angry with David? What were his motivations?
Read Numbers 13:30 and 14:1-3
4. Which of Caleb’s words revealed his confidence?
5. How did the people of Israel respond?
1 Samuel 17:33-37
6. Why did Saul doubt David’s ability to fight, much less, defeat Goliath?
7. How did David answer Saul and why is this significant?
Read 1 Samuel 17:45-48
8. How and why was David so steadfastly able to proclaim God’s success?
Embrace Biblical Community
Take some time, break up into Triads, and encourage each other to either follow-up on a developing a Personal Growth Plan from last week or discuss possible “giants” in your life and faith that need to be met with this week. Ask for prayer and encouragement from each other to follow through in the next couple of days.
Expand God’s Kingdom
Identify possible “giants” in the lives of others – family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, teammates, etc. and offer to engage or support others in their fight against the “giants” through prayer or more direct involvement as led by the Holy Spirit.
We encourage groups to try the Discovery Bible Method as an alternative to these discussion questions. You will find details for this Bible study method here. For this week, please study 1 Samuel 17:20-49.