There are 4 characteristics of being a disciple of Jesus: encountering God, embracing others, engaging the world, expanding God’s Kingdom.
What is the most exciting/interesting part of following Jesus?
Faith Promise Groups exist to help real people with real problems find real love. Groups help disciples of Christ to realize God’s love through encountering God in His Word, embracing others, engaging the world around them, and expanding God’s Kingdom.
Primary Scripture: John 4:7-42
1. How did the woman at the well feel excluded from her society? Describe a time when you felt like you didn’t belong.
2. How did Jesus cross cultural and conventional barriers in this story from John 4? Describe a time when you felt like you did belong.
3. Have you ever been around someone who was undeniably changed by Jesus? Has anyone ever thought that about you?
4. Read Matthew 25:34-40. God’s Kingdom goes beyond our culture. What are some cultural or conventional barriers that Jesus calls us to cross?
5. Discuss a time when the Holy Spirit led you to speak to someone about Jesus?
6. What is the biggest obstacle to you leading others to follow Jesus?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read John 4:7-42 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.
Suggestion: Consider breaking the group into dyads or triads for this section.
Read Romans 15:5-6.
How can you use your common interests with others to raise one voice that glorifies God?
Engage the World Around Us
Engaging at Faith Promise: This week contact a fpStaff, fpVolunteer, or a missionary from your campus and ask if they have a personal need that you can meet, or if they know of a need in the community.
Engaging in Community: Pray that God will show you a new way to engage the people in your community, then go do it. For example, take a roll of quarters to a local laundromat and help out.
Engaging the World: Pray that God will direct you to a national or international non-profit or para-church organization where you can show the real love of Jesus.
Expand God’s Kingdom
Read Romans 14:19.
Discuss how you can build up someone else.
ALL groups at Faith Promise should participate in ALL 4 characteristics of a disciple of Christ (encountering God, embracing others, engaging the world, and expanding God’s Kingdom). However, each individual group may be primarily focused on one of these “Es” for a season, or for the life of that particular group. Below is an explanation of each type of group.
– Encounter Groups: the primary focus of Encounter Groups is the deeper study and application of God’s Word.
– Embrace Groups: the primary focus of Embrace Groups is making friends and being friends on a deeper level.
– Engage Groups: the primary focus of Engage Groups is serving the people of our area through our local partners and through God-directed opportunities.
– Expand Groups: the primary focus of Expand Groups is the development and multiplication of disciple-makers to lead more groups at Faith Promise.