This is Group Week 3 – Discussion Guide
Groups offer community and provide challenge for growth.
Do you sometimes wonder how a person with no money to spare can contribute to God’s kingdom? Can you think of an example when someone showed you God’s love apart from financial help?
One of our core values at Faith Promise is, “We grow together.” Groups provide this opportunity to grow together, from age 2 to 102. A disconnected light bulb is useless and fragile. It cannot reach its full potential until it is screwed into a socket and turned on. Once we are saved, God’s Holy Spirit flows throughout our bodies and minds. As we study the Word individually and within a group, we grow toward our full potential. Encounter groups help us grow together through the study of God’s Word and prayer. In order to provide this place of growth, Faith Promise is launching Expand groups. Expand groups are followers of Christ, disciples who follow Jesus and lead others to do the same. They focus on rapid development of new group leaders to provide more groups for more disciples. Expand groups are where leaders grow.
Primary Scripture: 1 John 4:11-21
1. How do you obey the command to “love one another”? Consider how you love people in different areas of your life–at home, at work, at school, at places you volunteer, at group, etc. Share ideas about how you can show God’s real love to real people with real problems.
2. How do you “abide in God”? What is one way this group can encourage you in your spiritual growth journey?
3. Verse 18 says “There is no fear in love…” Have you ever been in a relationship based on fear? Have you ever been tempted to use fear as a tool in your relationships?
4. Verse 20 says if we hate our brother then we cannot love God. Have you ever noticed prejudice within yourself? Confess this sin to God and ask Him to give you a love for all people He has created.
5. Give an example of how our groups reflect our core value to grow together. In what kind of group does FP grow most of its leaders? Could you see yourself being a part of an Expand group?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read 1 John 4:7-21 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.