Christ-followers are called to bring people (God’s treasures), bury them at the feet of Jesus, and believe He will forgive and heal.
What would you do if you discovered a priceless treasure chest buried in the sand?
This weekend, we continued to look at the 500 Reasons to bring our family, our friends, and the people all around us to Easter 2018. In the teaching, we learned that as Christ-followers, we are to treasure what God treasures most- people. The natural thing to do when you discover treasure is to bring it close and then bury it.
This was illustrated perfectly in the story of the paralytic whose faithful friends carried him some distance, tore open the roof of the house where Jesus was teaching and lowered him down to the feet of Jesus, where he received forgiveness and healing.
We were reminded that we too are to bring friends and lower them to the feet of Jesus. We can only do this when our own hands and heart are free to do the work. We need to drop anything and everything that we may be holding on to too tightly and ask God to tear open the roof of our heart and reveal anything that might be between Him and us.Who are you bringing and burying and believing for God to forgive and heal and transform before our very eyes this Easter?
Primary Scripture: Mark 2:1-12
1. For what did the friends of the paralytic ask Jesus? Whose faith did Jesus acknowledge in this healing? How does this encourage you?
2. What did Jesus say to the paralytic? Have you personally accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, as the ONLY One who can forgive us for our sins?
3. Who has God laid on your heart who needs spiritual healing? Will you share with them the good news found only in Christ? Will you invite and bring them to Easter 2018?
4. What did the paralyzed man do that proved Jesus has the authority to forgive sins?
5. What did the teachers of the law refer to Jesus as, and of what did they accuse Him? Discuss how the teachers of the law missed the mark and missed the true identity of Jesus.
6. How has God amazed you this week, and how have you praised Him? (see v. 12)
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Mark 2:1-12 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the Believer’s relationship to Jesus.
This week, our focus is on how Christ-followers must treasure what God treasures- people! When we find a treasure, we bring it close and bury it. We are to hold people close and lay them down at the feet of Jesus, where they can receive what we need most- forgiveness and reconciliation. In small groups of 2 or 3, discuss how the gift of forgiveness motivates and encourages you to share this message of hope with others- to bring them to Jesus. Share with one another who God is placing on your heart this weekend to bring to Easter 2018.
Engage the World Around Us
Engaging at Faith Promise: Pray as a group to explore ways you can serve and fill the many extra volunteer spots for Easter 2018 weekend.
Engaging in Community: Like the paralytic’s friends, discuss how you as a group can identify a need in the community and move into compassionate action. Visit https://faithpromise.org/love-local to review several opportunities to serve together.
Engaging the World: Pray as a group that the news of Jesus will penetrate even the darkest places in our world. Pray especially for our missionaries who daily carry the needy up to rooftops and lower them to the feet of Jesus! If you have not checked out our digital missions magazine, take a look at: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/faithpromise.org/docs/mission-magazine-2017.pdf to see what FP is up to around the world and how you can pray specially for our missionaries.
Expanding God’s Kingdom
Will you ask God for the strength, courage and vision to overcome any obstacle to sharing the good news of Jesus Christ? This is our highest calling! Nothing stood in the way of the paralytics friends! Invite and bring those God places on your heart to Easter 2018.
- Trick question! the friends did not ask for anything! They simply placed their friend at the feet of Jesus and trusted Him to act. The paralytic’s friends’ faith; our faith and love for our friends matter! The Lord longs to hear our prayer and honor our faith, all in His perfect timing and according to His perfect plan.
- Son, your sins are forgiven.
- answers may vary
- stood up and walked
- “fellow”, blasphemy
- They thought that maybe God had given Jesus the authority to heal another man, but only God had the power to forgive sins. That is why they accused Jesus of blasphemy when He declared the paralytic’s sins forgiven. The teachers missed that God Incarnate was in their midst! Jesus is able to heal the physical (the visible) and the spiritual (the invisible). Faith in Jesus can result in complete healing, not always here on earth but ultimately in heaven.
– Encounter Groups: the primary focus of Encounter Groups is the deeper study and application of God’s Word.
– Embrace Groups: the primary focus of Embrace Groups is making friends and being friends on a deeper level.
– Engage Groups: the primary focus of Engage Groups is serving the people of our area through our local partners and through God-directed opportunities.
– Expand Groups: the primary focus of Expand Groups is the development and multiplication of disciple-makers to lead more groups at Faith Promise.