Faith Promise Value: We grow together. Because when we grow together, we invite God into our midst
What are some things that a group working together can accomplish that one person working alone cannot?
As we see in Genesis 2, from the beginning God did not design us to live or do life alone. This does not only apply to the complementary design of men and women, but in God’s broader design for His Kingdom. The Genesis story lays the foundation for how God architects human flourishing, Kingdom expansion, and expression of His glory.
Primary Scripture: 2 Samuel 11
1. David’s struggle began when he “sent” when he usually “went.” Discuss a time when (either because of fear, laziness, pride, or something else) you let someone else do what you should have done.
2. This world, the enemy, and our selfishness all work to separate and isolate us. What is one thing in your life that you can remove or reduce to become less isolated?
3. What is one area where you need your group to help you grow? Commit to each other to grow intentionally and humbly.
4. Read Hebrews 10:24-25 How can you work together to love others and perform good deeds?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.
Suggestion: Consider breaking the group into dyads or triads for this section.
Read Proverbs 27:17 How can you sharpen someone in your group? How can you be sharpened by someone else?
Engage the World Around Us
Engaging at Faith Promise: Find an area at Faith Promise where others can stretch you to grow in your faith.
Engaging in Community: Find an area in your community where your group can do more together than one individual could.
Engaging the World: Read Zechariah 7:8-10 How can your group live out this Scripture?
Expand God’s Kingdom
The Faith Promise value that we are looking at this week is essential to expanding God’s Kingdom. Matt Chandler points out that human development and growth is not an individual pursuit. He says, “[…] God’s picture of human flourishing in the Scripture flies in the face of radical individualism.” He goes on to say, “God’s picture of human flourishing starts when your preference and my preference become secondary to God’s will and how God has revealed himself in his Word.” How are you pouring into someone to see and achieve God’s will?
ALL groups at Faith Promise should follow Jesus Christ and lead others to do the same. Below are the marks of a growing follower and disciple of Jesus.
– A follower of Jesus desires to encounter God through the deeper study and application of God’s Word.
– A follower of Jesus embraces people and values relationships on a deeper level so everyone can grow together.
– A follower of Jesus engages and serves the world around them and in their community, through local partners or God-directed opportunities.
– A follower of Jesus expands God’s Kingdom through development and multiplication of disciple-makers, possibly to lead more groups at Faith Promise.