Walking with God in your weaknesses will lead to walking in His strength.
We face the challenge of filling spaces in different settings almost daily. Think back to a time you needed to fill empty space in a gift box. What was the most creative way you filled that empty space?
Watch this brief intro together with your group (click picture below):
Even after we begin a relationship with Christ we still have weaknesses, make mistakes, and struggle with things we struggled with before we met God. Why does it feel like there is empty space between us and God? It might not be a bad thing. God can fill this empty space with His strength.
Primary Scriptures: 2 Corinthians 12:9 and Romans 8:26-27
1. Read 2 Corinthians 12:9. God says His power is perfected in our weakness. Have you found this to be true in your life? Discuss why God can work better when we are weak.
2. Too often we try to fill the empty space with activities, self-help, or false strength. Discuss why this makes it difficult for God to work in our lives.
3. Read Romans 8:26-27. What do you feel is meant here by the Spirit interceding for us in prayer with unspoken groanings?
4. Do you feel that God can still hear and understand your prayers even when you don’t use words, just groans and expressions of feeling from the heart? Have you ever prayed like that? Can you share an example?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Romans 8:26-30 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.
Suggestion: Consider breaking the group into dyads or triads for this section.
What burdens you most? Share your heart with your dyad or triad, and then spend some time in silent prayer allowing the Holy Spirit to intercede for you.
Engage the World Around Us
Engaging at Faith Promise: Next Steps is now every week. Encourage others, especially those new to Faith Promise to check out this incredible experience and learn how to take their next step in their walk with God, and as part of Faith Promise.
Engaging in Community: What are some empty spaces in your community? Is there a neighbor who has an empty nest and could use company? Is there a neighbor who could use some help with their yard work? Could you lend an ear or a hand and then share this message and help them learn how God can fill the empty spaces?
Engaging the World: Each day this week pick one country or people group and spend some intense time in prayer for them. Pray from your heart; listen for God to prompt you through the Holy Spirit in how to pray for them.
Expand God’s Kingdom
Who do you know who needs to hear this message? Can you share with them this week? Can you invite them to attend at your campus next week?
1. Empty spaces give God room to work. We need to rely on God’s strength when we are weak.
2. If we are not praying and communing with God, then when we have successes we may be filled with pride (believing that our own effort brought success), and when we have difficulties we may believe that there is no hope (because in truth we cannot do it on our own). God fills the void, not our efforts.
ALL groups at Faith Promise should follow Jesus Christ and lead others to do the same. Below are the marks of a growing follower and disciple of Jesus.
– A follower of Jesus desires to encounter God through the study and application of God’s Word.
– A follower of Jesus embraces people and values relationships on a deeper level so everyone can grow together.
– A follower of Jesus engages and serves the world around them and in their community, through local partners or God-directed opportunities.
– A follower of Jesus expands God’s Kingdom through development and multiplication of disciple-makers, possibly to lead more groups at Faith Promise.