Main Idea: We will seek Revival at Faith Promise by following God’s instructions to King Solomon: We will humble ourselves, pray, seek God’s face, and turn from our wicked ways.
Have you ever seen something dead take on new life? Perhaps you had a plant that was almost dead, but fertilizer brought it back to life. Maybe you had a project at work that seemed doomed to fail, but one fresh idea gave it hope. Share about a similar transformation you have experienced.
Watch this brief intro together with your group (click picture below):
Primary Scripture: 2 Chronicles 7:11-16
1. Read 2 Chronicles 7:11-16 paying close attention to verse 14. Pastor Chris shared a quote that pride is “an unhealthy saturation with self.” What are some ways we can humble ourselves this week?
2. The next action in verse 14 is “pray.” What circumstances have caused you to pray passionately? It is natural to cry out to God when we are in desperate need. How do we keep the passion in our prayers and maintain intimacy with God when life is going well?
3. Why do we most often seek God’s hand of provision instead of God’s face through fellowship and intimacy in prayer?
4. The final action God requires of His people in verse 14 is to “turn from their wicked ways.” We will discuss this during our Embrace time in our dyads and triads.
5. Which of the four actions in 2 Chronicles 7:14 is the hardest for you to respond to? Why?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read 2 Chronicles 7:11-22 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.
Suggestion: Consider breaking the group into dyads or triads for this section.
2 Chronicles 7:14 says God’s people are to “turn from their wicked ways.” Spend a minute considering if there is any sin in your life that has become comfortable. If you feel comfortable, confess this sin to your dyad or triad and ask for accountability in turning from this sin. Whether you confess to one another or not, spend some time fervently praying that we would all be open to the Holy Spirit’s conviction of sin in our lives.
Engage the World Around Us
Engaging at Faith Promise: Pray for revival within your group.
Engaging in Community: Pray for revival in your community. Remember that these were promises that God gave to His people, so in order to have revival we must share God’s real love and people must turn to Him.
Engaging the World: Pray that Faith Promise missionaries around the world would experience revival in their communities.
Expand God’s Kingdom
Who can you share this message with this week?
ALL groups at Faith Promise should follow Jesus Christ and lead others to do the same. Below are the marks of a growing follower and disciple of Jesus.
– A follower of Jesus desires to encounter God through the deeper study and application of God’s Word.
– A follower of Jesus embraces people and values relationships on a deeper level so everyone can grow together.
– A follower of Jesus engages and serves the world around them and in their community, through local partners or God-directed opportunities.
– A follower of Jesus expands God’s Kingdom through development and multiplication of disciple-makers, possibly to lead more groups at Faith Promise.