We prepare for our annual miracle offering, and we pray that God would send miracles so powerful only He will receive the glory, honor, and praise!
If you have been at Faith Promise during previous Heart for the Harvest seasons, share your favorite story of how God worked through His church to impact the world. If this is your first Heart for the Harvest, share what excites you the most or what miracle you long for God to do in this season.
This week begins our annual Heart for the Harvest Series. We are preparing for New Rivers and New Roads of God’s provision in our lives, restoration in our relationships, and healing in our families. As we wait expectantly for miracles, we looked at one of the miracles of Jesus in the Gospel of John.
Primary Scripture: John 5:1-17
- Read John 5:1-4. Where do you see people gathered today hoping for a miracle or in need of healing? How can you pray for them or support them?
- Read verses 5-7. Have you ever waited on God for a long period of time? Are you waiting now? How would you answer if Jesus asked you the question in verse 6?
- Read verses 8-9. The man was waiting on his miracle from the pool at Bethesda, but Jesus came and healed him without touching the water. Is there something you are trusting in for provision or support rather than trusting in God?
- Read verses 12-15. How has Jesus found you or revealed Himself to you?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read John 5:1-17 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.
Suggestion: Consider breaking the group into dyads or triads for this section.
Spend some time in prayer with your smaller group. Pray as needed for provision and healing within your dyad or triad. Pray for a fruitful harvest season of faith in your small group and at Faith Promise.
Engage the World Around Us
Engaging at Faith Promise: Did you pray with anyone during this weekend’s service? Continue to pray for that need throughout the week.
Engaging in Community: The leaves are finally starting to fall! Do you have a neighbor who could use some help with raking?
Engaging the World: Pray for the global impact that this year’s Heart for the Harvest offering will make!
Expand God’s Kingdom
Who can you ask the question Jesus asked in John 5:6? Share with them God’s amazing power and love.
- Your group is a gathering of people who may have need of provision or healing! Other answers may include hospitals or food banks.
- Discuss reasons we may avoid seeking a miracle: it’s too unbelievable, it won’t happen, we don’t want to be disappointed, it is more comfortable to stay where we are than to change.
- It is easy to trust our bank accounts and our doctors that we can see rather than trust in God who we cannot see.
ALL groups at Faith Promise should follow Jesus Christ and lead others to do the same. Below are the marks of a growing follower and disciple of Jesus.
– A follower of Jesus desires to encounter God through the deeper study and application of God’s Word.
– A follower of Jesus embraces people and values relationships on a deeper level so everyone can grow together.
– A follower of Jesus engages and serves the world around them and in their community, through local partners or God-directed opportunities.
– A follower of Jesus expands God’s Kingdom through development and multiplication of disciple-makers, possibly to lead more groups at Faith Promise.