Follow the Filling Week 1 – Discussion Guide
A completely surrendered and clean heart allows the Holy Spirit to fully work in a believer’s life.
Do you have any cleaning projects for the new year?
This week, we started our new series Follow the Filling with a look at “A Place to Land.” We know from scripture that the Holy Spirit fills and indwells the believer at the moment of salvation. As a believer submits and surrenders their life to Christ, they are transformed by the Spirit into His image. This is our progressive growth in holiness. Because we know the Spirit will not fill a “dirty vessel,” it is necessary for believers to clean their vessel (heart) with confession and repentance of sin. The more the Spirit fills us, the more we can live the abundant life of victory and experience God’s presence. That way, believers are able to follow the Spirit wherever He leads!
Primary Scripture: Luke 4:14-21
- Read Luke 4:14-21. Luke 4:18-19 is our theme verse this year at Faith Promise. These verses came from the prophet Isaiah. Read Isaiah 61:1-2. Which of these promises of who Jesus is and what He will do means the most to you right now?
- Who are the poor and brokenhearted today?
- Explain how one is captive or imprisoned today. Who can set them free?
- How is one “blind” today, and how is “sight” restored?
- Who is God laying on your heart that needs to hear the good news? How will you trust Him to give you every word to share the real love and hope found only in Jesus?
- How does knowing the SAME Spirit of God that equipped and enabled Jesus’ ministry dwells in your heart affect your outlook for 2019? What in your life do you allow to limit the filling and power of the Spirit? What is God asking you to surrender so He can fill you to overflowing with His Spirit?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Luke 4:14-21 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.