We are called to be fearless sharers of the real love of Jesus Christ to everyone around us.
What is one of your biggest fears?
Fearless courage is inspiring, especially when it comes to saving a life or many lives. We saw a great example of this September 11, 2001. In the same vein, we are called to be first responders for Jesus. Sadly, only 2% of practicing Christians ever invite their friends to church. Fewer than that will ever share the gospel with anyone. Why are we so afraid?
Beginning this weekend, we will live out one of our values: We tell them of Him. We will tell everyone–our family, friends, coworkers, and classmates–about Jesus and how He has transformed our souls and our lives. Let’s become fearless in sharing Jesus with those around us.
Are you fearful or fearless?
Primary Scriptures: 2 Timothy 1:7-9 and Matthew 28:18-20
Read the two primary scriptures.
- In today’s politically correct culture, how do you understand and apply Paul’s words from 2 Timothy in your life?
- Matthew 28:19-20 is commonly known as the Great Commission. Unfortunately, many Christ-followers have turned it into the great omission. We simply do not share our faith often, if at all. First, discuss what fears keep us from sharing our faith. Second, think of ways to overcome these fears.
- One common fear is the fear of pushing others away when sharing our faith. Discuss how engaging others and building relationships opens doors for us to tell others what Jesus has been doing in our lives.
- Jesus gave a directive to GO. Go where? To all the nations–this means to everyone. He wants us to do several things as we go–make disciples, baptize them, and teach them to observe everything He has commanded. Spend some time fleshing out how we can obey this command today. Be specific about what actions you plan to take.
- Reread the very first sentence and the very last sentence of Matthew 28:18-20. How does this empower us to move from fearful to fearless?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read 2 Timothy 1:7-9 or Matthew 28:18-20, and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.
Engaging at Faith Promise: As a church family we all walk together along the path of life. Each of us has different fears. Pray together asking God to give boldness to empower and encourage each other to face and overcome those fears.
Engaging in Community and the World: One of the best ways to overcome our fear of sharing Christ with others is to share Christ with others. Just do it! Don’t allow Satan to paralyze you with the fear of what ifs. What if I offend them, what if I lose a friend, what if they laugh at me, what if…We have power to become fearless and courageous if we allow God to work through us.