Growing as a disciple is a complete surrender of every area of your life to Jesus.
What is the first thing you do when you wake up every morning?
When asked the greatest commandment, Jesus quoted Deuteronomy 6:4-5: “Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.” We are to put every part of our lives under God’s control. God is willing to provide for our needs if we trust Him completely with all that we have. Beginning with salvation and throughout the rest of our lives, we have opportunities to let God solve our problems. When we depend on Him, we learn that He is there every time.
Primary Scriptures: Matthew 6:25-33, Malachi 3:10-11
- Read Matthew 6:25-33. What do you worry about? What does Jesus promise to those who put God first?
- Read Malachi 3:10-11. Why were folks instructed to bring the whole tithe? Who was the food for? How were the generous to be rewarded?
- In verse 11, what were these farmers promised? How has God both provided what you need and protected what you already have?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Matthew 6:25-33 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.
Suggestion: Consider breaking the group into dyads or triads for this section.
What are some fears you have about putting God first and giving generously? Pray Philippians 4:6-7 over each other.
Engage the World Around Us
Engaging at Faith Promise: Pastor shared four levels of giving ranging from beginner to lavish giver. No matter where you are on the generosity journey, can you take the next step?
Engaging in Community: Did your group participate in Serve Day 2019? How did it go? Did you make any connections to people or ministries you could serve on a regular basis?
Engaging the World: Faith Promise missionaries put God first by serving in locations far from home. Pray for the missionaries supported by your campus.
Expand God’s Kingdom
What did you learn today that you can share with someone outside Faith Promise?
ALL groups at Faith Promise should follow Jesus Christ and lead others to do the same. Below are the marks of a growing follower and disciple of Jesus.
– A follower of Jesus desires to encounter God through the deeper study and application of God’s Word.
– A follower of Jesus embraces people and values relationships on a deeper level so everyone can grow together.
– A follower of Jesus engages and serves the world around them and in their community, through local partners or God-directed opportunities.
– A follower of Jesus expands God’s Kingdom through development and multiplication of disciple makers, possibly to lead more groups at Faith Promise.