No Tricks, All Treats – Discussion Guide
The devil is real and aims to destroy God’s people, but God is greater and will win the final victory.
Which Halloween candy do you prefer, chocolate or not? What is your least favorite?
This week, we dive into a topic many don’t like to discuss–spiritual warfare. The devil is a real person, and his mission is to destroy God’s people. This is his only way to get at God! We must “put on the full armor of God, so that [we] can take [a] stand against [his] schemes.” There is power in the name of Jesus, the One who defeated sin and death on the cross!
Watch this short video with your group.
Primary Scriptures: Ephesians 6:10-18
- Read Ephesians 6:10-18. Paul begins this last section at the very end of his letter with “finally”. Up to this point, he has carefully established our place in Jesus and the basics of the Christian walk. When he wrote “finally” here, he is speaking in light of all he has previously said. Describe your glorious standing as a child of God, all that He has done for you, and what it means to you daily.
- According to verses 10-11, what 2 things must a believer do to “stand firm against the schemes of the devil”?
- What does it mean to “be strong in the Lord and in His strength”?
- This is God’s armor that He shares with us! Discuss each aspect of His armor He has graciously given to us. How does knowing you have access to God’s armor encourage you as you endure difficult times? See Romans 8:37.
- What do you learn about God and about Satan in this passage?
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Ephesians 6:10-18 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore how Christ followers are to depend on the strength of God and the protection of spiritual armor, in order to stand against the attacks of spiritual enemies.
Getting to know you: Paul reminds us that our struggle is “not against flesh and blood but against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” How does this truth affect the way you think about a struggle or conflict you may have in your family, relationships, or in the workplace? How will you apply this passage and use the tools (armor) God has provided us?
Getting to know them: We have access to God’s Spirit and His strength–not ours–to face hardships in life. Discuss ways you can encourage each other with this truth. Pray for specific struggles your group members may be facing. Allow God to work by the power of His Spirit, and pray for members to be protected by truth, righteousness, the gospel, faith, salvation, and the Word of God!
Getting to know Him: When facing attack, meditate on Ephesians 6:12, that “our struggle is not against flesh and blood” and pray for the person through whom the attack is coming. Challenge each other to memorize 1 John 4:4, “because the One[Jesus] who is in you is greater than the one[the devil] who is in the world.”
Engaging at Faith Promise: Pastor Zac challenged us that Heart for the Harvest (“H4H”) is coming up in two weekends. This is not a time to kick back, sit, or stand still. It is a time to stand firm and advance! As a congregation, we are praying and fasting for God to move in our hearts towards generosity. It is a time to connect with God and disconnect from the world! “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.” -Ephesians 6:18. Your financial gifts through our annual Heart for the Harvest Offering are key in our effort to launch new campuses, see exponential growth, and produce changed lives.
Engaging in Community/Engaging the World: It is through our generosity at FP that we are able to support local groups such as Emerald Youth. Emerald Youth Foundation is a Christian, urban youth and community ministry in Knoxville, TN serving over 2,300 young people annually. Your group could pray about finding ways to spend some time together volunteering. Emerald has a variety of ways in which you can get involved. Check out the information in this link to learn more. https://www.emeraldyouth.org/getinvolved