Wake Up Week 1 – Discussion Guide
Main Idea: Choose between paralyzing fear and powerful faith.
Discussion Starter: We see a lot of fear right now in the world. You can’t turn on the TV or look at your social media thread without reading something that stirs fear. What are some fears that stand out to you in 2020?
Introduction: Every day we choose to put our trust into God or this world. We choose what armor we will put on to fight the battles life places in our path. Free will means we can determine who we follow, what our lives will look like, and how we will live. We can’t always choose what happens to us but we can choose how we react. Today, did you choose fear or faith?
Primary Scriptures: Romans 12:1-2, Ephesians 5:14, Ephesians 6:10-11, Ephesians 5:15-18, James 4:4, 1 John 4:18
- Read Romans 12:1-2. What is Paul urging readers to do and what not to do?
- In Ephesians 5, Paul discusses walking in love and contrasting light and dark. What does it mean for Christ to shine on you in verse 14?
- How then should we walk according to verses 15-18 in Ephesians 5?
- God is here to help us walk in His light and to fight the schemes of our enemy. What weapons does He provide for us in Ephesians 6?
- Read James 4:4 and discuss what directive or warning Christians should remember?
- Discuss the wonderful reminder from 1 John 4:18 that John provides Christians as they live in the world.
Discovery Bible Method:
For deeper study, as an alternative to the questions above, read Ephesians 5 and use the Discovery Bible Method to explore the passage.